Farm Fashionista here. Yes, back from the dead. It’s been two weeks of insane fevers, coughing and pneumonia around our homestead, so we apologize for being so quiet! I am back and I have sorely neglected my Farm Fashionista topics, so let’s jump right in!
I’ve decided this topic warrants multiple posts, so I have divided it up into a little series for you. We’ll start talking about some general ideas and then get into the practical application and day-to-day ideas.
When it comes to personal fashion, I am hopelessly caught in a bind. If I had my way, I would dress in 1940’s styles day in and day out. Sadly, my budget dictates otherwise, but also, I’m just plain chicken. I have fascinators overflowing my dressing table, vintage costume jewelry in abundance, and some retro dresses and pants that suggest the vintage feel, but when push comes to shove, I choose to leave them there, decorating my closet and bedroom with great flair and never actually creating that personal style about which I daydream.
Typically, I am a style chameleon. I morph according to the role I am playing. When I teach dance, I wear black dance pants (yoga pants), solid colored tank tops or camisoles, and a sweater or hoodie. My motivation is simple, clean lines and setting a good example for my young dancers. When I’m out with my kids, I’m in jeans and a top with my leather jacket and a scarf. When I head out with a friend, I wear… no, wait. I’m a mother of two small boys. I don’t go out anymore. Scratch that.
Needless to say, this is a daunting task. Personal style is a life-long voyage, something that changes with your personality and your maturity over time. Fads will come and go and riding the fashion wave can give you whiplash if you haven’t figured out just what you love and what you consistently return to every time.
Choosing Your Signature
So let’s look at some of our choices, those “signature” items that can pull together a wardrobe and make you feel like there is some consistency and a starting place to each outfit you wear.
1. Color – By this, I do not mean black. I mean your best, most flattering, and go-to color of the rainbow.
2. Shoes – Are you a high-heel addict? Do you love flats? Just how many pairs of peep-toe slingbacks do you have? You might be surprised to find that you have inadvertently made a fashion statement just by the shoes you own.
3. Hair color – I could go on forever about this, but some of us (*ahem* Crazy Daisy) like to change hair color as often as our clothing.
4. Jewelry – Rings. Bracelets. Necklaces. Earrings. Regardless of what you choose, jewels that are a conversation piece are always a great way to pull your wardrobe together.
5. Hats – This is about you. Only in the case of a hair emergency are you permitted to throw on a hat to hide. As for the beloved cloche, or fascinator, or even your floppy brimmed summer sunhat… let it make a big, bold statement about your style!
6. Key Accessories – Belts. Watches. Scarves. Socks. Sunglasses. So many choices, so many personalities. Do you have a favorite that you always return to? As for me, give me a beautiful scarf any day!
7. Key Clothing – Die-hard when it comes to skirts? Love your comfortable blue jeans? Are you a turtleneck junkie?
All of these ideas are just that – simple ideas that you can use to begin identifying and building your personal style. Can’t choose just one? Maybe you have my trouble – you LOVE fashion! But let’s see if we can’t tackle the task at hand and really focus on just one thing for now. There is plenty of time to build and develop and add pieces and interest to our wardrobe.
Watch for my next post. In the meantime, what did you find out about your style? I am DYING to know what you found!
- Achieving timeless fashion (beyondtherideau.wordpress.com)
- 10 Step Wardrobe Revamp (into-mind.com)
- Bringing Back a Style without Emptying the Bank – Retro (estilo-tendances.com)